Saturday, August 23, 2014

Des Moines, Iowa - Part VI: The Rankings Continued



Wha?  Oh yeah....Now I remember this blog!!!!  Yeah, I'm really sorry.  I've been a bad boy.  I've been screwing around with my other blog, America's Deadly Sins again.  I don't know what I was thinking.  I'm an ass, of this there is no doubt.  It means NOTHING TO ME, I swear it!!!

But look, I just GOTTA get back to this stupid rankings list...for reallies.  Let's get back to it, shallllllll we???

#1 For Up and Coming Downtown. - Forbes Magazine.


For those of you totally lost as to the rankings I'm referring to here, these are the ones posted here on the Des Moines Partnership page, here:

https://www.desmoinesmetro.com/en/dsm_metro_info/rankings/

OMG, I believe I'm going to be kinda sick.  Of every single city in this great nation of ours, how can this possibly BE??  I mean, look, you've already heard me bitch about the homeless thing, the public transportation thing, the tech hubs (under the radar), the functions thing, then of course, there's the fire that was set ON PURPOSE to the Younker's bldg., which has been here since the beginning of time, and never caught on fire even ONCE during that time...until it was scheduled to be torn down...then it became a towering inferno, screwing up the place where my wife's been working for 13 years in the process, in order to get it down quicker, but it has, because of that fire screwed more things up in the process, as well as completely screwed up traffic on one of the biggest streets in the downtown area; as far as getting from north to south.  No one, however, is even talking about that.  What better way to get it down quickly so they can be even more "up and coming" with our new and wonderful downtown.  Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh.

Believe what you wanna, but I gotta tell you kids, that whole chasing the homeless thing outta the downtown area and away from the bridges is gonna do nothing but cause you more grief in the long run.  I also noticed that slick secretive move where Hubbell realty bought up the Jefferson, the bldg. next to it, and the Elliot.  I don't believe Hubbell Realty buys anything in this town unless the plan is to tear it down and build something new and shiny, displacing ALL affordable housing in the downtown area.

Now don't get me wrong....I had ZERO love for Jim Nahaus, the man was a slum lord from hell...no one could be happier about getting him out of downtown that I am.  BUT, here's what's gonna happen now kiddies, now that the last bastion of pseudo-affordable housing is now gone forever:  Rent prices will SKYROCKET.  You like living downtown in our nice "up-and-coming" downtown?  Enjoy it while it lasts.  I'm shocked as hell that the Randolph hasn't been taken out to the woods, shot and left for dead, but I'm sure it's coming; then you might as well start looking for a nice place that you can afford on 6th Avenue, just North of downtown, because that'll be the only place you'll ever see the kind of housing prices you're enjoying now, again.  Thank GOD for the up and comingness of downtown Des Moines, though,  Who gives a flying rat's behind about the rest of it, as long as the downtown area is the s***, right?  Man, oh man.  Someday soon, mark my words, we're gonna rank as the #1 ghost town.