Saturday, August 30, 2014

Des Moines, Part VII - More Rankings, #1 - Best for Young Professionals

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/455778424759132478/


Wow.  I just gotta tell you, the Sins just WON'T LEAVE ME ALONE!!  Still, Des Moines, Polk County and Iowa have a goodly subset of their own, have no doubt.  The rankings continue down the road to non-existence, when I get through with them.  Today's fun time ranking is?

#1 Best City For Young Professionals. - Forbes Magazine.

Man these guys are WORKIN' ME!!  OK Forbes, let's go.

The biggest question I always have after reading a nice, plump and juicy biased ranking such as this is, what about the rest?  What is this city doing for the old professionals, I wonder?  And how about those who are just now growing into where they could possibly be young professionals sometime soon?  What about them?

Well, according to the U.S. Census, fortunately, a whole quarter of our population currently is under the age of 18!  Let's hope that most don't end up moving away, like they did in my generation.  Anyway, back to the facts and figures.

According to the latest figures...according to none other than the same site that posts our rankings for our fair city....again, found HERE:

https://www.desmoinesmetro.com/en/dsm_metro_info/rankings/

There has been a HUGE departure of none other than the age group just above the young professional age range; I'm guessing that's 20-34.  35-44 yr. olds?  A whopping 15% drop in our population.  You wanna know why?  Because this town caters to and brags up the young professional thing so much, Not only do the people over 35 feel like they should probably find another city that caters to the older professional; Hell, their professional careers are as good as over, obviously, once they hit 35.  Then they aren't so much young professionals anymore, and, since the town caters to the younger professional, well, I'm sure, after getting smart to the game, realize they could do better elsewhere...I mean what else could it be?  I will gladly attest to the fact that it got significantly harder for me to find a job here once I hit 40.  I was 42 when I took DMACC and IWFD up on their offer to get free job training in a field more in demand, and, as I remember, I hadn 't been able to find a job for quite a while.  I really can't prove age discrimination in interviews...and if you read my post entitled "Going to work....if you're lucky" in this blog, you'll see that's pretty much impossible.  But I think I'm about 2 inches away from swearing that there's an awful lot of age discrimination in this town, and I think the 15% drop more than speaks for itself where that's concerned.

Here's what really kills me though.  They're predicting, that the same percentage (5.8%) of "Young Professionals" that went up from 2000-2008?  Will subsequently go down the same percentage from 2013-2018.  'Magine that.

So, once again, here's my opinion on this ranking.....BULLS***.  Thanks again Forbes...but I gotta go with the theory that, since the prediction shows a projected 5.8% drop in "young professionals" in the coming five years, that maybe, at the moment, Des Moines ISN'T a #1 best city for young professionals...after all...but that, if we say that it is, the number quite possibly won't go down.  That ranking, just like so many others I've discussed in this blog, is OUTTTTTTTA THERE!!!

Please, if you will Iowa, tune in again, soon, where I plan to rip, into itty bitty bits, every ranking on this very biased and very stupid list...:D